Rules messed up on sync

General talk about our software.
JLBH

Rules messed up on sync

Post by JLBH »

I use Outlook 2007 with XP Pro. I know that EZOS will not synchronise rules but does anyone know of any way I can stop the rules on each machine being messed up (the rule's destination folder is reset to the default after syncing) and pretty much every rule has to have the destination folder reassigned. I seem to spend half my life going through my rules settings after a sync. I occasionally import my rules from my destination (desktop) pst to my target (laptop) pst to keep the latop rules up to speed and I accept that this will mean I need to reset all the rules after import. However, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, when the pst files are synced, all the rules are in error and have to be reset. I make sure that the rules are set specific to each machine so why on earth is EZOS resetting them all? I'm using EZOS Pro 2.1.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rules messed up on sync

Post by admin »

That's very odd, EZOutlookSync works only with the objects, not touching anything else including rules. May I ask you to exclude all the items from synchronization (click on Tools->Options, and remove checkboxes for all the elements under Synchronization Options) and then try to synchronize. Will rules be messed up in this case? Thanks!
JLBH

Post by JLBH »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will do as you suggest - and will advise when I have done so.

I have found that email rules are returned to the default (no target folder specified) option intermittently. On my last sync (from laptop to desktop), virtually all the rules on my desktop had been reset after the sync and were listed as being in error. I think only about two were still OK. That was what made me suspicious and I wondered if the problem might be caused by me exporting my rules from my desktop to my laptop (several syncs previously) using the export/import rules facility in the Outlook Rules dialog. I can't see how this might affect things but I thought I should give as full a picture as possible.

Worryingly, at first I was not able to connect to my laptop over my peer to peer (cable) network and kept getting a MAPI error (80070005). I was forced to find my laptop pst file (in a shared folder) manually. Again, the information may be spurious but I give it in the interest of completeness.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the additional info. Will pass it to our developers. Let's see if they have something to add or suggest.
JLBH

Post by JLBH »

Thanks.

I just had a thought and I thought I should mention it. I have installed EZOS on both my laptop and my desktop - (hope that's OK!) I use only one or the other at a time - I use my laptop to synchronise (wireless) if I'm working at that machine and my desktop (Ethernet) if I happen to be there. On this occasion, (when all the rules were messed up) I initiated the sync from my laptop - I think for the first time. The rules had been imported some time ago to my laptop using the Rules facility and at the end of the sync, I had to reset all the rules on my laptop. When I synced (initiating from the laptop) back to the desktop a few days later, I had to reset virtually all the rules on the desktop.

I will try the synchronisation you suggest tomorrow morning and will repost then.

Thanks for your help,
John