pre-sale question: syncing outlook rules?

General talk about our software.
Rodney

pre-sale question: syncing outlook rules?

Post by Rodney »

Hey Max, I'm almost sold on your product, I just have one question:

does the pro version sync outlook "rules"? I couldn't find this info on the site or forums (although I could have overlooked it).

Since I have several POP email accounts and folders, I need to make sure the rules that deliver each pop email to the correct folder stay in sync as well.

Thanks,

Rodney
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Any word on this?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I posted a message here 48 hrs ago as well as a message via email to support. No reply so far. Thinking I better take a closer look at Easy2Sync and OsaSync products.
Jon
ddavis53

Support and Responses

Post by ddavis53 »

It is a problem with the reponses here - a simple response of "needing more inforamtion - " or "being added to the next release" would be better than nothing.

I think that I may also have to check out the programs you mentioned. I would suggest that you check out http://www.synchpst.com as the developer there is really good and gets back to the email - I was one of his first alpha and beta testers - the only reason that I moved to EZOutlookSync was that the speed was there - and I do mean speed - but the support, if it is missing, is not work the cost of the product as that is what is part of the product cost.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been going thru the entire list from the slipstick site and have coincidentally have just tried the SyncPST product. EZOutlookSync may indeed be a little faster, and I do appreciate that all sub-folders open expanded, and of course this BB is a nice support resource.

However, I just ran a test with EZOutlookSync to do a full sync on a folder. Starting with the same data in both Source and Target, I deleted a months oldest messages in the Source and then ran a full sync. EZ... should have brought back that month of old messages to the Source after the full sync but did not. Running the same test with Syncpst was successful. Have you tried doing this ?
Jon

Post by Guest »

Question based on your text: if you start with the source and target being the same, then run a full sync - then the statistics screen should show that there is nothing to sync in either the source of target..

Then if you delete a full month of messages from the source, then why would you want to have them brough back from the target? Would you not want the Source and the Target to be the same - with the deleted messages no longer in the source and the target? Confused on that aspect.

I am runing V1.2 RC2 - released on Sep 5th - I am finding that if I delete messages from the source and invoke the synch - that the messages from the target are being restored to the source - which is not, in my opinion, correct - as the messages should not be existing in either the source or target - thus they are not back in "balalnce".. Synched.

If I miss understood - please by all means correct me.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for that post. Because you were successful, I went back and rechecked my full sync test and discovered that I had Outlook pointing at the wrong data file. After the fix I was able to get a successful full sync also -- restoring a variety of folders and file sequences simultaneously from source to target and target to source.

Now as to why that's the way it should work -- there are perhaps other reasons for having a full sync bring back to the Source messages which are only on the Target. For me, this includes times when it is necessary to run a remote desktop and laptop on some alternating schedule when it is not possible to sync after each use. Imagine using a desktop at work on M, W, F, and a laptop at home or on the road T, Th, and then doing a sync on weekends. IMHO, that is the problem a full sync solves.
Jon
ddavis53

Post by ddavis53 »

Understand that - but my question is or concern rather if you receive and delete the items on the laptop that were in the full synch, do you want them restore when synch back witht the desk top?

I know that when I work with the email messages, calendar and tasks on either one that would become the source and it is the most current and i would want it to be reflect to the source in a full sync. Thus, if I have delted messages that were part of the first synch of the source and target - then I want the source (desktop or Laptop) to sync with the target again. - all ths means is that there should be delted showing up in the statistics for the source and the target - which I have not been able to see.

Also, if there is a message filed in a folder, after the first sync is done, then I expect to see it in the new destination - not appearing in the new destination and then it the inbox for example.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure how else you can test all the parameters of full sync funtionality unless you begin at least one of your tests of full sync by starting both source and target with the same material and then deleting from target.

If you are actually thinking of non-test circumstances, deleting files from source and then doing a full sync would not bring the deleted files back to the source because they wouldn't be on the target unless you had of course had already synched them there previously. But if that were the case, you probably think or work in terms of "single master" version residing on either source or target at any one time, and would more appropriately be using the one-way only sync. I'm used to working with both multiple and single master file scenarios so it makes sense to me.

However, if you require more control over deletions I think you may need to look at a different product.

As an aside, one of the handy features I found with EZOutlookSync is that mousing over folders brings up a count of items in that folder on source and target. Very handy if you are the least bit unsure of whether you should be syncing source to target, or, target to source. Nice touch, developer(s).
Jon
ddavis53

Deleting items from PST and then having removed

Post by ddavis53 »

I guess that Max needs to weigh on on this aspect, I know that if I delete from one PST, that I don't want them to be reappear - for example if i delete frm the source pst and then synch - I don't want the target to have them and then for them to be placed back in the source pst.

Any guidance here Max?
ddavis53

Reread and got a different understanding

Post by ddavis53 »

Well, you prompted me to read the help again - and this time I have a different understanding of the three options, and as a result working under a different understanding.

Copy source to target - I understand if that if there are deleted in the target and they exist in the source, the they will be deleted from the target - a much different understanding that I had before.

Thanks.
max

Post by max »

OK guys, perhaps I will do a little bit of longer explanation, but hope it still will be clear enough.
If you do a one-way sync, and have "Deleting Items" enabled in Options, those items that are not present in source, will be deleted from target. This works in one-way sync only, because in two way sync we do not know whether you want to add an item to another PST file or want rather delete it. In two-way sync we will just add all items to another PST file, if they are not present in both files.
This is how a "Standart" edition works.

Now, often users want to use two PST files independantly and they sometimes delete some items from PST files and want the same items to be deleted in another file in two-way sync, rather then having them added back (like a "Standart" version would do in two-way sync). One-way sync is not the way for them to go neither (because new items were added to both PST files, not only to source).

So, to defeat the problem, EZOutlookSync Pro features a sophisticated delete algorithm, I will show what it can do.
First of all, you need to synchronize Source and Target the first time, AND to save a Profile. Now a Profile has the information about ALL items in each PST file. On next synchronization (using this Profile) it will know what was added and what was deleted from EACH file.

Which means, you can now add and delete any items to both PST files independantly- EZOutlookSync Pro now knows what was added (and will add it to another file) and know what was deleted (and will delete it from another file).
Most important part is to use Profiles, always, which contain all information about PST pair.

I hope I was clear enough, please do not hesitate to ask if something is unclear in the above. Sometimes it is easier to understand the question if you give an example of the situation. Thank you for raising this tough question, as we are still in doubts what is the best way to cover it in the Help file.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
max

Re: pre-sale question: syncing outlook rules?

Post by max »

I am sorry for the delayed reply, in case you still accept replies:
Rodney wrote:does the pro version sync outlook "rules"? I couldn't find this info on the site or forums (although I could have overlooked it).

Since I have several POP email accounts and folders, I need to make sure the rules that deliver each pop email to the correct folder stay in sync as well.
Unfortunately, rules are not stored in PST files and we can't synchronize them...
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
Jon

Post by Jon »

Those last two posts were very helpful, Max. I had looked in the trial version for more detail in the help files about the additional features in the Pro version, as well as on the web site, but I couldn't find anything detailing how these advanced features worked. So, your post was helpful.

I do have a couple more questions. Does a profile have to be deleted to change any advanced deltion parameters that may have been selected, or is it necessary to un-select the deletion parameters of the profile in order to have it default to it's normal default profile behaviour?

I tried deleting a profile in the trail version but could not. Is the trial version complete in all aspects, functionality, help files, and so, excluding of course the limitation of "two folders" after the initial complete syncs?

I have a long list of mail folders but when the EZOS folder window opens the scroll bar has moved about 2/3 down on the scroll bar. A minor annoyance, but shouldn't the profiles load position the folders at the beginning of the folder list rather than near the end?
Jon
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Hi Max, thanks for getting back to me about the "rules" syncing on Outlook (even after the thread got hijacked :) )