EZOutlookSync portable Windows 7 problems

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
ClevaTreva

EZOutlookSync portable Windows 7 problems

Post by ClevaTreva »

I checked my version of EZOutlookSync portable and it is 1.23.

I would like to call this the 'latest' version, but 2009?

So, to my problems. One. The first syncronize with the Windows 7 default .pst wiped the settings on the Windows 7 file (all settings reverted back to as initially installed). Whole swathes of folders had their contents deleted.

If I try the synchronize I get the oft seen:

Access violation at address 0041A90E in module 'EZOutlookSync.exe'. Read of address 00000040.

message.

I can import from the backup file on the flash drive. That file is 1.2MB in size.

If I try a new backup TO the flash drive, no problem. But the file is only half that size, at 560kb.

I have seen references in other posts to a log file? Where is that? I can't see one.

Can I assume that this software is, for the time being, junk to me?
ClevaTreva

Re: EZOutlookSync portable Windows 7 problems

Post by ClevaTreva »

I was wondering. When I went to do the synchronize from the flash drive, just before I had Outlook 2010 running. I closed it down. But what if despite me closing it down, it was still running? I did check Task manager but couldn't see it there. I am not at the place where that computer is now for 20 hours, BUT ...

I just got home and I can see that 3 emails I know I should receive here are not here and have been read by the other machine, WHEN Outlook WAS NOT RUNNING.

A bit of browsing around. And what did I find? I have AVG on the system. And apparently AVG has an Outlook plugin that keeps Outlook running though you close it down. How stupid is that?

So, I went to the Control Panel and the Install/Remove Programs bit, went to AVG 2011, clicked Change, under the email scanner, there is the plugin, disabled it. Stops the problem on my Vista machine. I will try the same on my Windows 7 machine tomorrow.

So, apologies to you guys. I wonder how long this AVG plugin has been causing this problem?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your report. AVG plugin and some other anti-virus software do cause problems time to time (sometimes they falsely report the installation file as being infected). So; we kinda used to that and always recommend to disable the anti-virus software first, in case of similar problems.
ClevaTreva

Post by ClevaTreva »

Hi

So, I thought I would pass on what I have discovered, with the caveat that things change.

My machine is Windows 7 32 bit, with Office 2010 (and therefore Outlook 2010).

It has ZoneAlarm Free firewall and AVG Free installed. All the latest versions. The problem lay with AVG (as you said, anti-virus software ....).

You need 2 components turned off on AVG. The Outlook plugin AND the Link Scanner. BUT, if you have ZoneAlarm installed, you can't change the AVG setup. Instead you have to use AVG's removal tool (from their website) and then re-install, using the Custom option, to turn those options off.

So, now I tried it all again. Success. I'm on the road again with EZOutlookSync portable. I have lost a few emails, but hey ho.

Trevor