program not working after update

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: program not working after update

Post by admin »

Update: Performed some additional tests with the file you uploaded. Redownloaded it and tried to open with Outlook 2010. Outlook shows the error message and doesn't want to open the file, so had to run SCANPST. The utility finds some errors and offers to repair the file, we agree. After that, Outlook opens the file just fine. Close Outlook and open the file with EZOUtlookSync Pro 3.02. File opens just fine. Close EZOS Pro and open the file with Outlook - file opens just fine. Close Outlook, open the file with EZOS Pro, perform a way-one sync of the file into the new one. Close EZOS Pro, open both of the PST files in Outlook - files open just fine. Close Outlook, now perform two-way sync with EZOS Pro for the files, sync ok. Close EZOS Pro, open Outlook - both of the files opened just fine.

While the initial file was corrupted we haven't been able to currupt it (after fixing) by opening it with either Outlook or opening and synchronizing with EZOS Pro. That tells us that the initial problem was successfully fixed with SCANPST. Probably the issue is with your original PST file and we'd like to see it now, if possible. Thanks.
howdego

Post by howdego »

Thank you for pursuing this further. I just tried to upload my primary pst database to you. My impression is that the upload failed as it ended quickly. However, when I tried to upload again, I got the error message "Copying files to remote side failed. Anonymous users may not overwrite existing files" So i am not sure that the "howie" file got through. I used the address info you sent when I uploaded the last file, and the same ftp client, WINSCP.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately I cannot see the file on FTP, seems it didn't get though at all. Please rename your file before trying to upload it again. An alternative way would be to upload it to Google Docs, for example, maybe that's easier? Thank you!
howdego

Post by howdego »

I just made a copy of my pst file and transferred it to your server under the name Outlookc.pst. After the file send looked complete, I got the same message as last time "Copying files to remote side failed.
Anonymous users may not overwrite existing files." So I don't know for sure that you got everything. I have never used Google docs. Let me restate that I don't see the reason for examining the file as, on my computer, I was able to corrupt the remote file just by opening up Ezoutlooksync and not synching. That is why I believe the problem is with the updated syncing application. But I appreciate your efforts. Note, I do not use the pro version.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the file, went through this time.

Interesting find - out of curiosity scanned the first PST file you sent us with SCANPST after running some additional tests with it. SCANPST said there were some minor inconsistencies and offered to repair the file which we did. Ok, then ran the SCANPST on the same now supposedly repaired file once again, to my surprise, the utility said the file was corrupted and offered to repair it, which we did. Then another run and another message about the file being corrupted. Preformed the same tests with the same methodology on Outlookc.pst - same results. Seems SCANPST is unable to repair the files even though it claims otherwise. You can see it for yourself by running SCANPST on the same file couple of times consequently.
This tells us that the initial error which somehow occurred with one of your PST files cannot be repaired by SCANPST at all and therefore it comes back later..
howdego

Post by howdego »

Uh oh! So now what? Do you have to find out exactly what the error is to see how it got there? Can that be done? What does that mean for me using ezoutlooksync? PS. I did do multiple SCANPSTs but always got the minor errors message.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately we will not be able to find the cause of the problem. We work with PST files through Microsoft set of tools, we do not access the files directly and therefore cannot read their structure and raw contents in order to find any inconsistencies. I'd suggest you to synchronize items from your existing PST files into the one ones module by module and then check them with SCANPST. In this case you should soon know which data is causing troubles. When you know that you'll be able to create a new PST file and move all your good data into it, leaving the corrupted one behind.
howdego

Post by howdego »

"I'd suggest you to synchronize items from your existing PST files into the one ones module by module and then check them with SCANPST."

How do you isolate a PST module? You mean one could build a PST file by first entering the contacts, then the emails, etc.? Are there instructions on the net. Or do you mean first sync the contacts, then the calendars? Remember, that is all I ever sync. Also, if both database are corrupt, why do they act fine until EZoutlooksync is opened on the primary computer and not even synced? Especially the remote file? In this case, Ezoutlooksync looks to be the culprit. Is there a place where someone could help me to actually find the specific corrupt code? Like a Microsoft help desk?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, yes, I mean try synchronizing one module by one - first, say, contacts, then appointments, etc. This will help to get to the source of the issue, eliminating all irrelevant (working) modules. Once SCANPST determines there's a problem with the newly created file - you know it's because of the last portion of data you synchronized over.

It could be that EZOutlookSync tries to access some procedures that Outlook wouldn't touch during your everyday usage and these procedures trigger further "corruption" of the files. Remember we use MS documented procedures for accessing PST files, we wouldn't be able to get info from them otherwise. And if the file is corrupted in the first place, we, unfortunately cannot guarantee it working correctly with EZOS.

You may try to reach Microsoft, maybe they have some other more hardcore utilities for fixing PST files. Thanks!
howdego

Post by howdego »

Did something a little different. I established a new, blank PST file on my remote computer. I added a bunch of new activities to my primary calendar. I then only synched the calendar by sending data one way from my primary pst to the remote pst. At First, the remote Outlook would not open. I applied SCANPST which found errors and fixed them. The Remote Outlook then opened, but none of the newly entered calendar activities showed up. Only the older activities were there. Also, none of the activity colors i use were there. So, what would you assume is the problem? is the primary pst corrupt, even thought it operates ok? Is EZoutlook not operating properly? Did I miss a step when I established the new PST on the remote computer? Did the SCANPST remove newly added activities from the copy of the calendar I synced to the remote PST. Is the Outlook application not operating correctly on one of the computers?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd suggest you to start with new PST files as for your primary as for your secondary computer and then see if the problems ever arrive. If the PST file on your remote computer was corrupted at a time of synchronization then we cannot expect flawless synchronization results. In other words you need to be sure that either of the files you're synchronizing with is issues free.
howdego

Post by howdego »

So, per your recommendations, here is what I did:
1. Established a new blank pst file for each of my computers.
2. Made the blank pst the default file and established an event in the primary blank calendar folder, but kept the remote computer saving to the original pst file.
3. Synced only the calendar folder one way from the primary to the blank folder on the remote machine. (remember, the blank folder is not the default on the remote at this time)
4. Went to the remote computer and attempted to open Outlook. On my first attempt, I got an error message like “Cannot open Outlook. The file cannot be opened.” However, when I clicked ok and tried to open the program again, it opened to the primary PST correctly.
5. I changed the default pst to be the blank one on the remote computer and closed the program as required.
6. When I tried to open Oultook, I got the “Cannot open Outlook…..” message, twice. On the third try, the error message changed, saying, among other things, to restart the computer. I restarted the computer and opened Outlook ok with the blank pst as the default. The event I put into the blank primary pst was there in the calendar.
7. I inserted a new event in the remote calendar, closed Outlook, and synced only the calendar from the primary computer as usual. The sync was successful
8. I inserted a contact in both blank contact folders and synced both ways from the primary computer. The sync was successful.
9. I synced both the blank contacts and the calendar folders at the same time, with additional entries, both ways from the primary computer. The sync was successful.

So, so far, the system works with both computers using the blank pst files. Any idea why Outlook failed to open properly in the instances I described? What do you suggest I do next?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Most likely Outlook failed to open properly because there still was the corrupted file in its profile at that time. Once you remove it, Outlook should be opening without any issues.

I'd still suggest you to establish a new PST file and try to transfer data from the original file into the new one module by module checking the latter one for errors with scanpst after each synchronization. This should allow you to transfer most of the data into the new file and then continue working with it.
howdego

Post by howdego »

I will try the module transfer recommendation this weekend. But i still don't understand, why, after i changed the default pst to the blank one on my remote computer did i have the sequence “Cannot open Outlook…..” message, twice. On the third try, the error message changed, saying, among other things, to restart the computer. I restarted the computer and opened Outlook ok with the blank pst as the default". Shouldn't Outlook have open correctly with the blank pst file?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Was the second file still in the Outlook profile at that time? If yes, it might be that file which caused such behavior.