program not working after update

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
howdego

Re: program not working after update

Post by howdego »

The new file has "minior Inconsistencies) according to SCANPST. How does one find out what these inconsistencies are? Both Major and minor ones?

I don't see any reason to use that database as the old one is working fine as long as I DON'T USE EZOUTLOOKSYNC. Based on what we found, I think we can conclude: 1. That ezoutlooksync causes some destruction in the primary database each time it is used, 2. That ezoutlooksync will corrupt a remote database, even if the sync command is not issued (how does it do that??), 3. the problem started after a version update. I think we should find out what your program is doing before I use it again. Do you have the ability to test this if you had my original PST file? I am running out of time to resolve this problem.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm afraid SCANPST will not reveal these inconsistencies.
1. EZOutlookSync acts as a provider. It uses the same functions that can be triggered during your everyday Outlook usage.
2. You mean the other PST file gets corrupted just by opening it with EZOutlookSync?
3. Most likely this is a coincidence. But yes, it would help a lot if we could have a look at your original PST file.
Thanks.
howdego

Post by howdego »

EZoutlooksync not only currupts the remote database and local PST during a sync, as I stated, it seems to have corrupted my remote PST simply by opening and finding the remote database path.

If you can solve the problem by looking at my PST, I would be happy to send it to you. However it is 350,000 kb in size. What is the best way to provide it? Also, is it possible that my copy of EZoutlooksync is broken and needs to be replaced? Remember, I had no problem for about a year. It started after the last program update
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

howdego wrote:EZoutlooksync not only currupts the remote database and local PST during a sync, as I stated, it seems to have corrupted my remote PST simply by opening and finding the remote database path.
That's very strange, we've never faced anything like that throughout the whole program's life. Looking from the technical perspective, taking into account the way the program accesses PST files, there's not even a slightest bit of possibility that could happen. EZOutlookSync uses exactly the same techniques as Outlook does for opening files. In order words, you could safely say that it was Outlook, which corrupted the file.
howdego wrote:If you can solve the problem by looking at my PST, I would be happy to send it to you. However it is 350,000 kb in size. What is the best way to provide it? Also, is it possible that my copy of EZoutlooksync is broken and needs to be replaced? Remember, I had no problem for about a year. It started after the last program update
Please use our FTP server for upload:
ftp.s3backupsystem.com
login: anonymous
directory for upload: /incoming
Thanks!
howdego

Post by howdego »

I have never used FTP before, but I am using a free graphical based client to upload my remote file to you. If I did it right, it Should be done in 10 minutes. Notice i said the "remote" file. I am sending this because before I was to send my primary file, I checked it to see that it was working ok, which it was, as was the remote file. However, I decided to do a sync between the primary file and the fake file you had me establish the other day. I subsequently used scanpst on both thoise files, and though they showed amounts of folders and items, and some minor errors, the primary file subsequently opened and operated correctly. However, when I went to open the remote database, I get an error message that the file is busy and cannot be opened. I got the same message when i tried to run scanpst against it. It was workng fine until then. So what only appears to be the bad file now is the remote pst file. That is why I am sending that one. Let me know if you need something else.
howdego

Post by howdego »

No joy! After about 30 minutes, the download looked like it was going to complete. however, when it looked done, I got an error message that said the session timed out. When I tried to download again using a new session, I got a message tha anonymous useres cannot overite an existing file. So maybe the file, with user Ronnie, really ws sent. Need advice. Might it be possible to speak on the phone?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, will check the file and update this post.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Meanwhile, let me comment on the "file is busy and cannot be opened" error message. It happens when the OS or any other program is using the file at the moment. Which means that most likely the remote file was in use by Oultook at the time you tried to open it with EZOutlookSync. If Outlook was not running on a remote machine at that time, please check task manager, maybe the process didn't shut down correctly and you need to close it manually.
howdego

Post by howdego »

Just to clarify, I did not attempt to open the remote file wih ezoutlooksync. I just opened ezoutlooksync on the primary computer and selected the path to the remote pst file, but did not press the sync button. When I say I tried to open the file, i physically went to the remote PC and tried to open the outlook application to be sure it was ready for the sync. That is when I got the error message. The file itself had been closed for a while, so I don't know why the OS would be accessing it..
howdego

Post by howdego »

Something strange just happened. Outlook on the remote computer had been open for a while. I went to use it and found all the windows blank. Than I found an error message across the screen that said Cannot display the folder. The file (the pst path) cannot be accessed because another workstation has modified it. Close and restart.

I did so and the program opened properly. Note, I did not access EOS on the primary prior to this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When the file is opened in EZOutlookSync it's being in use. That's why you got such error message when trying to open the file with Outlook on a remote computer.
howdego

Post by howdego »

But I did not open the remote file with ezoutlooksync. I never clicked the sync button to sync to that file.

Have you looked at the file I sent you? I think this is going on much too long. You and I have exchanged 25 messages on this one issue. I am losing confidence that you will be able to solve this problem. How can we resolve this more quickly, like today?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Synchronization itself has nothing to do with that. A file is considered to be opened when you can see its contents in the main dialog window.

We checked the file and turned out nothing was wrong with it. We were able to synchronize it with couple of test PST files without any issues. Couple of posts ago you also said you were able to synchronize correctly.

Are there any other issues left? Thanks.
howdego

Post by howdego »

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that the problem has been solved based on the past 25 exchanges! I never said that “Couple of posts ago you also said you were able to synchronize correctly.” Check both July 8th posts again. Here is what happened this morning. Please study carefully.:

I opened both the primary and the remote versions of Outlook. Both opened properly. I CLOSED BOTH outlook programs and I opened ezoutlooksync. The program opened properly and both the paths showed up on the ezoutlookxync window. I closed the ezoutlooksync window WITHOUT SYNCING and tried to open the primary outlook. It gave me an error message. I closed the error message and tried again. Surprisingly, This time it opened and continues to open. I have no idea if anything is missing within the file. Note, I am using the regular pst file because it show no errors when scanned by scanpst and I never got to sync it anyway.

With the primary Outlook closed and the remote also closed, I then opened ezoutlooksync on the primary with the intention of doing a sync, only to get an error message that the remote database could not be accessed. I closed EOS and I went to the remote database and tried to open it. I first got a short error message that I failed to read, but was a standard message. I then tried to open it again and got a longer message that basically says: Cannot Start Outlook. Cannot open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been documented in the file. Quit the application and use SCANPST. Thus, a program that was ok before simply opening ezoutlooksync on the primary was now corrupted.

I restarted the remote computer to see if maybe breaking the link to the primary computer was the problem, but this did not fix the problem. I performed the SCANPST. It said that errors were found. I repaired the errors and it cleared the file, enabling me to open Outlook. I did notice, however, that the step to look for lost data took longer than usual.

So as you can see, I am having the same problems. Just opening Ezoutlooksync corrupts the remote Outlook file and/or something that prevents the program from opening. Could this be because, as you said “A file is considered to be opened when you can see its contents in the main dialog window?” The problems started after installing the latest update to ezoutlooksync. Might uninstalling the program and reinstalling it help? If so, how do I do that? Outlook on both computers acts properly s long as I do not open EZoutlooksync. Are the different OS’ a problem? Note, I only sync contacts and calendar, not emails. The problem is clearly with your program.

After all this time, I must ask If there is a more senior administrator in your company to work on this problem? Could I work with someone in a more real-time setting to finally find the source of the problem? I cannot continue to be unable to sync my email clients. This forum is an unsatisfactory media to solving this problem after so much time. If we cannot resolve this, I would be looking for a return of my purchase price.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please do the following:

1. Open the new PST file that you created using EZOutlookSync like I suggested you couple of posts back. Will it become corrupted after opening it with Outlook and then EZOutlookSync?
2. Try to downgrade your version of EZOutlookSync to one of the previous one and see if it helps: http://www.ezoutlooksync.com/?r=vv