Problems with synchronization

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
rusty

Problems with synchronization

Post by rusty »

I'm having a few problems with syncing, even though I can get it to work (eventually).

- After some syncs I end up with 'other' pst files in outlook. Eg: there's the real one open, but other ones appear that I have to remove by going to File->Data File Management... and choosing to remove them.
- I get errors from outlook about 'unable to update free or busy data'
- Another error from outlook: 'This information service has not been configured. Select an existing version or type the name of the new file to create'
- It takes about 15 minutes to sync 1000 messages...even when not many of them have changed (maybe six or seven)...surely there's a way to speed this up a bit, I have a 10Mbit connection between my computers, which is pretty fast.

I run the sync from my laptop, and sync it with my desktop. They both run Outlook 2002, SP2. I'm running EZOutlookSync 1.02

cheers,

Rusty
max

Re: Problems with synchronization

Post by max »

Hello,

thank you for posting on this forum!
rusty wrote: - After some syncs I end up with 'other' pst files in outlook. Eg: there's the real one open, but other ones appear that I have to remove by going to File->Data File Management... and choosing to remove them.
Try closing Outlook during synchronization- it should do the trick.
rusty wrote: - I get errors from outlook about 'unable to update free or busy data'
That's Outlook's error, unfortunately...
rusty wrote: - Another error from outlook: 'This information service has not been configured. Select an existing version or type the name of the new file to create'
That's strange. When does this error appear?
rusty wrote: - It takes about 15 minutes to sync 1000 messages...even when not many of them have changed (maybe six or seven)...surely there's a way to speed this up a bit, I have a 10Mbit connection between my computers, which is pretty fast.
We are working on this. Unfortunately, there can't be made a tremendous increase, as all Outlook datga has to be parsed before we can work with or filter it.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
rusty

Re: Problems with synchronization

Post by rusty »

max wrote:Try closing Outlook during synchronization- it should do the trick.
- I had outlook closed on both machines, and neither PST file was locked.
max wrote:That's Outlook's error, unfortunately...
True, but it only happens just after a synchronization is done using your software. Is there some cleanup that you don't do properly, or perhaps some event that you fire when you shouldn't?
max wrote:That's strange. When does this error appear?
- I'll see if I can find a consistant way to reproduce it.
max wrote:We are working on this. Unfortunately, there can't be made a tremendous increase, as all Outlook datga has to be parsed before we can work with or filter it.
- I think that this would make your good product into a great one. It seemed to me that some of the beta versions used to be quite a bit faster? I'm a programmer myself so I understand how these things go, but normally there's always a way to speed things like this up.

Rather than me just posting problems, I might figure out an exact way to reproduce the problems above, and then send you the steps. Hopefully then you can reproduce them at your end and maybe fix them. Just out of interest, have you tried syncing over a wireless (802.11b/g) link (I doubt it would make a difference, but that's how I do it here at home)?
rusty

No more issues

Post by rusty »

Hi Max,

I just thought I'd post an update. After the initial sync that I did I haven't had a single outlook or ezoutlooksync error. It's still slow, but then so is copying my entire PST file from the other machine, so I think you're right there's not much you can do about that.

So to summarise: thanks for your help, your program now runs great :D
max

Post by max »

Thanks!
You actually led our development guys to several thoughts, which we right now test. We hope to make it faster still. Not yet known to which degree.
But thank you! Sometimes a little bit of pushing from clients is what software developers need...
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team