It works (I think)

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
PCTech

It works (I think)

Post by PCTech »

I just downloaded the proggy and it is exactly what I have been looking for. I do have an issue though. I have my source file on my jump drive and target is my outlook file on my pc. I did the sync with the default option <-> and all was fine. I then deleted some of my Tasks and synced again, it said the sync completed, but when I looked at the folder on the left (source side) it showed 36 task and on the target side showed 20, which was correct. I then synced using Source <- Target option and it didn't chage. I then manually checked the Task box on the Target side and it then corrected the Source side. It seems that using the Source <- Target sync type should make my Source identical to Target, any ideas?

Thanks!
max

Post by max »

Hi,

thank you for raising this question!

Below explanation concerns only the deletion of the items.

First of all, please check that in Tools->Options, "Check for deleted items" is enabled.

If this is enabled, then in Source-> Target synchronization we would delete the items from Target file, that are not present in Source file. By "Deleting" we mean sending the item into "Deleted Items"

Correspondingly, in Source<-Target synchronization, we would delete those items from Source file that are not present in Target file.

In Source<->Target we do not delete anything (do not know whether you added new item to the folder or delete it from the other).

Hope that explains everything. If you think it does not work this way at yours- just let us know- we will look into the issue.

Thanks in advance!
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
PCTech

Makes perfect sense

Post by PCTech »

Thanks Max, I understand that process now.
max

Re: Makes perfect sense

Post by max »

PCTech wrote:Thanks Max, I understand that process now.
Excellent. Please let me know if you have any futher questions or suggestions!
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
jgt

First of all, please check that in Tools->Options, "

Post by jgt »

You stated "First of all, please check that in Tools->Options, "Check for deleted items" is enabled. "

Should not this be the default? I cannot check my at this time because the sync process is running.
max

Re: First of all, please check that in Tools->Options, &q

Post by max »

jgt wrote:You stated "First of all, please check that in Tools->Options, "Check for deleted items" is enabled. "

Should not this be the default? I cannot check my at this time because the sync process is running.
It is the default setting. But checking never hurts:)
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
PCTech

Just to clarify..

Post by PCTech »

Check for deleted items *is* enabled (checked). Now let me explain what I'm doing and what I want to accomplish. I have my SOURCE file on my jump drive, my TARGET is the Outlook.pst on my puter (at home). At the end of the day when I'm done with Outlook, I want it to Sync the TARGET with the SOURCE, if I have delted anything from the TARGET I want it deleted on the SOURCE. If I have changed anything on the TARGET I want it changed on the SOURCE.

Now, the next morning, when I get to work, I put my jump drive in and run EZOutlooksync. I want it to then updated the TARGET with whatever info is on the SOURCE, basically, the TARGET should match the SOURCE exactly, since I have not done anything on my work computer yet. When I'm done at work, I want to sync the TARGET with the SOURCE on the jump drive, I take it out and when I get home I sync the TARGET with the SOURCE.

That is a lot of stuff to post, and I hope it is clear! :lol: So should simply syncing <--> do this?

Thanks!
max

Re: Just to clarify..

Post by max »

OK, let's sort it out:
PCTech wrote:At the end of the day when I'm done with Outlook, I want it to Sync the TARGET with the SOURCE, if I have delted anything from the TARGET I want it deleted on the SOURCE. If I have changed anything on the TARGET I want it changed on the SOURCE.
Do Target-> Source synchronization, with "Check for Deleted Items" enabled. It will:
  • update the Source with new or newer items from Target file
    delete items from Source, that are not present in Target (i.e. deleted)
PCTech wrote: I want it to then updated the TARGET with whatever info is on the SOURCE, basically, the TARGET should match the SOURCE exactly, since I have not done anything on my work computer yet.
Do Source-> Target synchronization.

And similarly, the other way around when you go home.
PCTech wrote: So should simply syncing <--> do this?
<-> will copy the new or newer items, as you wish, but it will not delete the deleted items, since it is not known, whether you deleted item from one file, or added the item to another file.

Hope I have explained clearly enough:)
One-way synchronizations should work fine in your case, absolutely.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
jgt

Jump drive

Post by jgt »

PCTECH - this might be a wild shot but with a few registry mods it might work. If you have a total system backup, e.g. a mirror image of your HD (I use DriveImage). Go into your registry find the key that have a value of "C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and change them to point to the folder on your jump drive. You will need to do this on the LT and DT In the folder on your jump drive you should have at least two files (1) Outlook.pst and (2) Outlook.PAB and "possibly" your archive file (in OL you would change the path for this under the Tools > Options window). If my suggestion will work then everything for you will be on your jump drive and eliminate the need for any sync process. But it does mean that OL will NOT work if the jump drive is not installed.

NOTE - if you decide to do this you will be going into untested waters and if it goes wrong you could loose all of your OL data or worst case loose your complete system. Having said that BACKUP - BACKUP - BACKUP so you will have a recovery path if things start to go south.