3 Way Syncing - Does it work

General talk about our software.
cgmsys

3 Way Syncing - Does it work

Post by cgmsys »

Here is the situation I have..

I have 3 machines with EzOutlook Sync running on Let's call them A, B and C

A = My Main Desktop .. The one I want to be 'the master copy'
B = My Wife's machine. She will be taking emails from one folder and then moving them to other folders.
C= My Laptop - I would like to be able to move emails to other folders, delete things from the inbox etc.

Now, here is where I seem to be having the problem...

I synced from
A to B
A to C.

Then I went onto B and moved about 8 messages from the invoices folder to their respective clients folders

I again resynched
A to B
A to C

However, when I do that, the 8 messages appear back in the invoices folder. They are duplicated in the respective client folders where I moved them from the C machine.

My question is: Is it possible to do this type of message moving in a three machine situation?? It's beginning to look like that won't work very well. I think when you move files from one folder to another, it doesnt' sync that quite right.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

One that might work would be to copy the messages to the client folders and then delete them from the invoices folder.

thanks

Chris
admin
Site Admin

Re: 3 Way Syncing - Does it work

Post by admin »

What's the program version and edition you're using?

Please try to create different profiles for A to B and A to C synchronizations. Let's see if it helps. Thanks.
cgmsys

Post by cgmsys »

I'm using v 2.01 pro, the paid edition.

I did have profiles set up but I was just changing the target manually with the dropdown arrow. Is there a differnce when you use a profile instead of manually changing the target. ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No there's no difference.
Okay, I see you were doing 1 -way synchronizations. That's why you got duplicates in B after synchronizing it with A for the second time. These duplicate messages came from A. The program doesn't compare both of the file in one-way sync. Both-way synchronization should be used instead. Thanks.
cgmsys

Post by cgmsys »

I found out how to do what I want..

It appears that EZOS can't track it easily when you MOVE an item. However, if you copy an item to another folder and then delete it from the original folder it can process that correctly.

So, if I am on any of the three machines all I need to do is to copy the message or contact or whatever to the correct folder and then delete it from the folder where it was copied from.

You should verify this for yourself before relying on it. ie ... YOur mileage may vary...