sync OK, but will still receive all emails since last time

General talk about our software.
adrian

sync OK, but will still receive all emails since last time

Post by adrian »

Hello Admin,

There are no stupid questions so here I go:
Tried out the portable version, I have a desktop PC and a laptop.
Very irregular I go on a roundtrip and take the laptop with me.
Normaly I would I copy/paste the original .pst file from the desktop into the laptop, connect to the internet with the laptop, and although my laptop outlook is up-2-date I receive all emails since the last time I connected to the internet (can be months in the past). This can add up to as much as 250 emails.

My first try out with EZoutlookSync all went smooth exept that again all emails came in since the last time I connected to the internet. Is there a solution for this or am I misunderstanding something?

Best regards,
Adriaan Seunke
admin
Site Admin

Re: sync OK, but will still receive all emails since last time

Post by admin »

All these email messages are stored on the mail server. Once you connect to it, Outlook checks what messages are there and downloads them all (if it hasn't downloaded any messages previously). What you can do in order to avoid that is to uncheck the "leave messages on server" checkbox in the Outlook settings for both of the computers.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello Admin,

Thanks for the reply.
We opted for "leave messages on server" checkbox in the Outlook settings because of security (back-up) and problems in the past (computer crash)
If on one computer an email is downloaded it somehow is marked as received on that PC. By synchronizing I was hoping that this "problem" would have been solved.
Or putting it differently: why is an email still being downloaded on the computer that has just been synchronized although it is already in the inbox? Is there no way around this apart from deleting it on the server as soon as it is downloaded the first time?

My apologies, I'm tired and can't express myself the way I want.
Regards,
Adrian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Outlook uses some internal mechanisms for determining what needs to be downloaded. We cannot alter that, unfortunately.
You can either exclude the mail module form the synchronization or Inbox only (in the latter case you should have Sent Items and the rest of the folders synchronized and identical on both of the computers).
Or, you can convert your account into IMAP.