Changing Phone Contacts From Read-only?

General talk about our software.
haroldpdx

Changing Phone Contacts From Read-only?

Post by haroldpdx »

Hi - I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum, but I wasn't able to find it by searching.

I'm evaluating Outlook-Android sync using the 30 day trial, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm strongly considering purchasing a full license for myself and for my wife. There is just one nagging issue, and I hope someone can help me out with it.

Simply put, I'm not able to edit contacts synced to my Samsung Galaxy S5 by Outlook-Android Sync. When I touch the edit button a screen opens and the data fields are displayed, but I can't do anything in them... and the "Save" option isn't available (probably because I haven't changed anything.)

Is there a way to make these contacts editable? I do a lot of work "in the field," and I need to be able to update my contacts on the phone. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing Phone Contacts From Read-only?

Post by admin »

It seems the default Outlook-Android Sync account for contacts where the software synchronizes your Outlook contacts into is somehow restricted for editing. Please try changing the account type in Android OAS by clicking on Menu->Settings, Account to sync contacts into. A phone's account or your Google account should work. Thanks!
haroldpdx

Post by haroldpdx »

Ah!! Thank you so much for the advice; I wasn't even aware that menu was in the app! I'll make that change in the Android app and re-sync.
haroldpdx

Post by haroldpdx »

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have worked. I set the app to sync to "Local," then updated a contact in outlook and synced. The contact updated in the "Outlook-Android Sync" account and is still read-only (or at the very least non-editable.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please to create a new test contact in Outlook, it will then be placed into the "Local" account upon next sync. Will editing work then?
haroldpdx

Post by haroldpdx »

Ah ha - yes, that worked. The new contact in Outlook transferred to the Phone account on the Samsung; I created a note and synced again and the note transferred back to Outlook. Sounds like that will do the job once I clean up my contacts (which is something I've needed to do for a while.) Thank you so much for the help; I'll pull out my credit card and buy a couple licenses!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, glad it works as expected now and thanks for the feedback!
jacko

Post by jacko »

Hi.
I just purchased Outlook-Android Sync, but I have the same problem with Read-only contacts in my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy note 4) as does haroldpdx.

I read the postings above, changed the required setting to "local" and created a new test contact in my Outlook 2007, which synced over to the phone and was completely editable. But none of my other contacts are editable. I have approximately 340 contacts that I need to be able to edit in my phone whenever the need arises. What is the solution?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can reset synchronization data by locating the OutlAndr.ini file on your PC (it's usually stored here: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Outlook-Android Sync) and deleting it. In this case all your Outlook contacts will be transferred to the newly selected "Local" account upon next sync.
Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Hi there,

I am a new user and am currently on the 30 day trial. I'm also experiencing the problem that I can't edit the contacts which I have synced to my phone but when I try to change the 'sync to' on my phone, there is no 'local' account. There are both google accounts that I'm using but as those would sync my contacts to the google cloud, I do not want to sync to either of those accounts. Could someone please advise on how to proceed so that I can edit my contacts without syncing them to the google cloud?

Thanks a lot!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Which accounts does the app show are available on your phone when you select the "Account to sync contacts into" option? Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is addressed in the latest OAS 3.6 version for Android. Please update, thanks!