program not working after update

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
howdego

program not working after update

Post by howdego »

After updating to 3.01 version of ezoutlooksync, I have been unable to sync my two computers. Just upgrading to 3.02 made it worse. When I start to synch, the system says it cannot open the remote pst file. When I check the remote Outlook program, it says it cannot be opened. I must restart the computer to open it. Or, the ezsynch program says the remote database is corrupted, so I need to run the repair tool to fix it. Which I have done, and at least it makes it available on that computer. Also, I sometimes open ezoutlook and it says that the local outlook file cannot be opened. Sure enough, when I try to open it I get a message that it is busy or something like that. Then I have to restart my computer to open Outlook.

The software is running an a Vista PC,and the remote machine is a windows 7 laptop. Both running Outlook 2007.

Can you please tell my what happened and how to fix it? :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
admin
Site Admin

Re: program not working after update

Post by admin »

Nothing has changed in the new version with regards to the accessing PST files mechanism. Maybe the files you were trying to open were still in use by Outlook and got released after you had rebooted your computer. Does it work as expected on a fresh start?
howdego

Post by howdego »

How long should it take for Outlook to release the pst database? Could it be 5 minutes? I believe I waited 2 or 3 minutes after closing the applications on both machines before trying to sync, and getting a failure. However, I just tried to sync after recycling both machines and opening and closing both Outlooks and waiting a couple of minutes. The sync worked and I was able to open my Outlook after the sync. Might my ezoutlook sync be corrupted? Another thought: on the remote machine, the pst file is in an Outlook folder, which is in anonter Outlook folder, and both the first and second folders have pst files. I use the deeper pst file as that is where the application is programmed to save. Might that be a problem?
howdego

Post by howdego »

Still no good! While my Outlook is working, the remote laptop, even after a successful sync, opens but when trying to send an email, I get an error message that the database needs to be fixed with the repair tool. It looks like exoutlooksync is corrupting the remote database. Help!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First, please make sure Outlook is closed on both of the machines prior synchronization. Second, run the SCANPST utility for both of the PST files you're going to synchronize. After that, try to synchronize again. It might be something from the source PST that the target one doesn't like and therefore assumes itself as being corrupted. Thanks.
howdego

Post by howdego »

No joy! Applied scanpst.exe to both computers. Errors found on both. Cleaned errors. Restarted both computers. Tested the remote computer Outlook and it worked fine. Tested the main computer and found that Outlook worked there too, but by chance found one of my distribution lists was screwed up and I had to rebuild it. Closed both outlook apps (as I always do, but I must admit my wife did reopen hers before I ran the sync a couple of times in the past) and ran the ezoutlook sync program. The sync seemed to work fine. No problems found in outlook on the main computer. However, when I tried to open the remote laptop, I got an error message that the file was corrupted. scanpst was used on that file again and outlook opened.

So, it looks like either my outlook file or ezoutlook sync is corrupting the file on the remote computer no matter what I do. An other ideas?
howdego

Post by howdego »

Wrong!! I just checked to see that everything synced as the program said it did. I found that a calendar entry I made on the main computer did not get added to the remoe machine calendar. so the sync wa not successful after all, or the scanpst program removed it from the remote database.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try to:
- fix your PST file (on your machine)
- synchronize it to a new one
Then, check whether one of the files is corrupted or not. If not, check your second PST file for errors (on a remote computer) and synchronize the newly made PST file (which you created during the first sync) with it. Will there be any issues then? It might be that the initial file is not being correctly fixed and therefore there're problems as with it as with the second file after synchronization.
howdego

Post by howdego »

What do you mean by "synchronize to a new one? do you mean establish a second pst file on my machine? How do I do that? An by fix, I assume use scanpst on my exIsting file?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, fix using scanpst and please create a new and empty PST file (you can do that from within the program, when selecting the target file, just write down a new file name in the Open dialog window).
howdego

Post by howdego »

When I synchronize the existing pst file with the new empty file, should i set it to overwrite the new file with the old? It is empty, so that is why i am asking. Or should i use the normal update each file setting?

BTW, I did make a copy of my PST file after cleaning it (the SCANPST program gave me the "there were minor inconsistencies found in this file. fixing is Optional" message. So i ran the repair and then copied the file within windows explorer and then scanned the copy. Got the same minor inconsistencies message. So I repaired it. Than i synced both files and after seeing that the original was working ok, i scanned it with scanpst. Damn if I got the minor inconsistencies message again! Is that a clue to the problem?
howdego

Post by howdego »

Maybe Another clue! When i opened Ezoutlooksync on the primary computer (the desktop) to get it to sync to my pst copy, it of course opened with the path to the pst file on my laptop (remote) computer. However, I then selected the path to the copy on my desktop before syncing. But, later, when I went to open Outlook on the laptop, which was working fine before, I could not open it. Even though I did not sync to it. When I ran scanpst against it, the utility said there were major errors. I was, however, able to clean them and now the remote program is working.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The new file is empty, so just use the one-way synchronization method for it. Thanks.
howdego

Post by howdego »

As you advised, i created a new empty pst file using the file-new-new data file command, after first cleaning the original pst data file. I then synced the real file to the new empty one. Message said the file synced successfully. However, when I then checked the real file with SCANPST, the message said "errors found" (note, not minor inconsistencies). I repaired the file and it opened properly. so why would a one way sync to an empty data file on my computer result in errors to my primary pst file???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hard to say without seeing the file. Was the second one you transferred all your data to ok? If yes, you can continue using it instead of the "real" one.