starting up

Post your bug reports and support issues here.
sportsguru

starting up

Post by sportsguru »

hey a few questions
1= 2 computers conected via a wireless network the laptop is new and i tryed to get data from my pc via a pda but it didnt bring accross all the data i required so i am about to try your software before buying (if it works) i need to work out how to view both pst files form one computer?(shared folder?offline files?)

2= do i need to install your software on both machines?

3= there is old data on the laptop that i haven used for a while and before syncing do i need to deleet ll old files(on the laptop)

4=
ddavis53

Sharing PSTs

Post by ddavis53 »

From my understanding it is not the design of OL to have the pst shared, since they are a direct write file from that particualar OL pc (desktop or laptop). I know that I have done it, it is slow and in some instances will create duplicates in the items - such as mail, tasks, calendars - that means that a duplicates remove will need to be run frequently to remove the duplicates or you can remove them as you find them.

Max - on the money with this? or any comments?
max

Re: starting up

Post by max »

Hello!
sportsguru wrote:1= 2 computers conected via a wireless network the laptop is new and i tryed to get data from my pc via a pda but it didnt bring accross all the data i required so i am about to try your software before buying (if it works) i need to work out how to view both pst files form one computer?(shared folder?offline files?)
Shared folder is the way to go. But you should have a very good wireless connection, without packet loss.
Sharing folder for use with EZOS will not bring duplicates.
sportsguru wrote: 2= do i need to install your software on both machines?
On one machine only (this machine should have access to both PST files via shared folder)
sportsguru wrote: 3= there is old data on the laptop that i haven used for a while and before syncing do i need to deleet ll old files(on the laptop)
If you mean some old Outlook data by "old data", then, yes, it is better to delete it.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
sportsguru

could you run me threw how to share the pst file

Post by sportsguru »

i need specifics
i have pc (sorce) and laptop target all running wxp pro and ofice 2003
i want to know how to share the pst file do i just copy it from the properties window (as per vidio ) and paste it into the shared docs folder

then on the laptop run ezos and use the code in the shared folder as the location for my sorce info?

also do i need to install ezos on both machines and if so which one is it better to run the program fron ie sorce or target?
thanks heaps for speedy replies
Jon

Post by Jon »

You said you already had a wireless net so I'm assuming you are already connected. So...

To share the files on the source and target over your network - first find the *.pst file on each. Selecting the folder (containing the pst file - the default is "Outlook") right click, select properties, select the Share tab, check both boxes "Share this folder on the network", and "Allow network users to change my files", click OK, and you have now shared the pst file. If you click Network Places from My Computer, you should be able to verify your success be seeing something like "Outlook on laptopname" and "Outlook on Desktopname."

Max already answered your question, but you may have missed it. You only need to load EZOS on one machine. Your desktop is probably the better choice - usually there is more disk space, faster, larger screen, etc.

HTH,
Jon
Jon
max

Post by max »

Thanks, Jon, all is correct.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
sportsguru

sharing

Post by sportsguru »

thanks guys
but as yet i cant get the sharing tab to be bold its greyed out any idears
sportsguru

exchange server

Post by sportsguru »

i am confused i cant find why my sharing tab 9above propertys id greyed out?

do i need an exchange server?
max

Re: exchange server

Post by max »

sportsguru wrote:i am confused i cant find why my sharing tab 9above propertys id greyed out?

do i need an exchange server?
No you do not need an exchange server, you just need to have the two computers within a single LAN, so that you could share folders between the machines.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team
sportsguru

more help required

Post by sportsguru »

yup its set up in a wireles network i can share other folders easy buy dra and drop into the shared folder or by clicking properties and ticking the share folder bo, or by using ofline files which syncronises perfectly, but it seems that outlook wont share its toys (files)

is this corect-; open outlook;right click personalfolders; then go to sharing? , this is where i am stuck becase on both the laptop and pc this sharing tab is grey so icant select it,

i wil send a screan shot
max

Re: more help required

Post by max »

sportsguru wrote:is this corect-; open outlook;right click personalfolders; then go to sharing? , this is where i am stuck becase on both the laptop and pc this sharing tab is grey so icant select it,

i wil send a screan shot
That's wrong. You are doing it from Outlook, while you should do it in Windows. Please read Jon's message about setting it up.
Maxim
EZOutlookSync/EPIM team